Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Jun. 6th, 2013

Hi there.

I'll be moving to London - or thereabouts - next summer when I start my graduate studies at Regent's University. Does anyone have tips about how to find reasonably cheap accommodation? I'm looking for something pretty permanent, I'll be there for 2 years at least - so I don't want any hostels or hotels. I'm looking more for flatshares or something along those lines.

Even a city outside London would be fine, as long as it's a reasonable commute.  I will only have classes for 1 week every few months, so I don't need to be in London all the time.

Thanks for the help. :)


( 9 comments — Leave a comment )
Jun. 7th, 2013 08:32 am (UTC)
I'm quite surprised that Regents College don't give you assistance on that, especially considering they have American university courses...? Anyway, as I'm sure you realise, it's very expensive in the area of Regents College. It's probably best to go on websites like gumtree dot com, sparerooms dot co dot uk or loot is a website and a paper you can get which also has ads. Better to do it from London if you can though. Outside of London is still really expensive and it costs a LOOOOTTTT to commute into London so you would probably still be better off within London.
Jun. 7th, 2013 08:45 am (UTC)
I'm not a full-time student, so I can't use Regent's housing - although they can still help me find something. I just figured I would ask here as well.

Thanks for the links!
Jun. 7th, 2013 10:55 am (UTC)
It's not really related, but I am just curious - I used to work at a Uni and I thought that if you are from outside the EU you have to be full time to get a study visa - is it different for postgrads?
Jun. 8th, 2013 05:56 am (UTC)
I would assume so, because I think there are several postgrad degrees that aren't full time. Looking on the UK Border Agency website, it doesn't say anything about full-time vs. part-time study.
Jun. 10th, 2013 08:51 am (UTC)
Hi, I think you may want to check with the International Office at Regents, or something - the UKBA website does say you need to be full time, (it says so under 'Course of Study', and I also asked a friend of mine who works in the International Office at another London Uni, and he said PG is the same as UG - you need to be full time, or no student visa.
Jun. 14th, 2013 04:51 am (UTC)
Thanks, I'll look into that.
Jun. 7th, 2013 08:35 am (UTC)
I second the above comment, especially on the living outside London thing. When I moved I thought I could live outside London because I only had classes 2-3 times a week, but I'm really glad I didn't because I ended up needing to be there much more than that. Commuting cost a FORTUNE, and you can find reasonably priced rooms in London, so make the most of it while you have all the advantages of being a student!
Jun. 7th, 2013 09:30 am (UTC)
second the links quoted above, also be mindful that the renting market moves very quickly - you'll rarely find anything more than a few weeks in advance.
So, best to look while you're here.
Deposits can typically be 4-6 weeks rent + rent in advance, so make sure you have enough savings.
Jun. 8th, 2013 12:15 pm (UTC)
I really would try and live in London rather than out. It's a big enough city that you'll be able to find something to suit you and your budget without having to go outside the bounds - because those bounds are a LONG way out. My OH works in Guildford, some 30 miles away, and it's a 70 minute commute. It is, speaking as a local, a right ballache living far away from your school, your work, or your friends and social activities.

(I presume you're not thinking of bringing a car, btw? My advice would definitely be "don't". Public transport here is pretty good and direct, and driving in the UK is incredibly expensive - plus driving into central London actually incurs a fee called the Congestion Charge.)

To find travel info, go to the Transport for London website. You can find a tube map on there (it's a good idea to put a tube map on your smartphone), and if you click getting around - maps - buses you can find an interactive bus map, where you can enter a place name/postcode and see which buses go near it. This should help you decide if a place is suitable in terms of where you can get to from there.

Now, a bit of local knowledge:

Regent's is in the south-western corner of Regent's Park (as you know), but that's actually a pretty large area. The closest tube is Baker Street (yes, that Baker St), which is on the Jubilee, Bakerloo, Hammersmith&City, Circle and Metropolitan lines. Baker Street is about an 8-minute walk to the uni - and the walk takes you past the Sherlock Holmes Museum. (I hope you don't mind but I had a wee look at your journal.)

To the north-west prices may get cheaper as you go further out down the Bakerloo line (although St John's Wood is super-pricy). To the north-east is Camden, which is interesting but I'm not sure about prices. Buses go from Camden and also round the park towards Baker St (the 274 stops outside Baker St tube and goes from just south of Camden Town tube).

To the east proper is Euston, Kings Cross and Islington. You *may* find something cheap round Kings Cross/Caledonian Road, although prices are going up because Kings Cross/St Pancras is the terminus for the Eurostar to Paris.

South of the uni is where the prices are highest. Round Regent's Park, Marylebone etc? I'd more or less forget it unless someone else is paying for you. You might have some luck south-west, towards Paddington and Bayswater.

I second the advice above about having a pile of money to move with, for paying rental deposits, rent up front etc. Will you be able to work while you're here?

Good luck with the move!
( 9 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

February 2018